There are 4 resorts in the Snowy Mountains Perisher Blue, Thredbo, Charlotte Pass and Selwyn.
Perisher is the biggest, Thredbo the longest, Charlotte Pass snowbound and Selwyn is for families. In resort accommodation is expensive in Thredbo and Perisher the cheaper option is to stay in Jindabyne and drive to either resort each day (approximately 35mins). Another cheaper option for Perisher Blue is to stay at Guthega (one of its 4 areas) at the Guthega Alpine Hotel. You can do a day trip to Charlotte Pass however, it’s best to stay overnight.
The best time to visit is mid July to the end of August which is when to snow is best, it has however the busiest and most expensive, and watch out for school holidays which is generally the first two weeks of July. Early September normally has good snow conditions with accommodation and lift passes cheaper.
The million question which resort is best?
Selwyn – small family friendly resort that’s good value
- Pro -great for families, snow play, tobogganing and learning to ride, cheap
- Cons – not very snow sure, not much for intermediates and above, no on snow accommodation
Thredbo – longest trails in Australia with a great alpine village atmosphere
- Pro – great alpine village atmosphere, long trails, pretty snow sure, mountain restaurants, terrain park
- Cons – expensive accommodation at Thredbo, not much off-piste,
Perisher Blue – Biggest resort, varied terrain and very snow sure
- Pros – massive area with great off piste including trees, snow sure, something from every ability, terrain parks and super pipe
- Cons – Links between resort areas are flat, ok if you know where they are, not much village atmosphere
Charlotte Pass – beautiful snowbound resort high in the national park and only accessed by snowcat
- Pros – snow sure, picturesque, snowbound, great for families
- Cons – limited advanced terrain, access to resort
Call now to book your next NSW snow holiday